In having children baptised, we follow Christ’s teaching and the ancient practice of the Church. Due to the importance of Baptism, parents should have their children baptised ‘within the first few weeks’ after their birth.
Baptism is a sacrament founded by Christ Himself. All sacraments are the action of Jesus Christ in His Church. They are the outward sign of inward grace, bringing us God’s spiritual help we need to live our lives as we ought.
- We are forgiven Original Sin. Baptism is the ordinary way of getting to heaven.
- We receive grace.
- We become members of the Church.
- We are born again as children of God.
- Coming to Mass each Sunday.
- Teaching your child to pray.
- Teaching your child the beliefs of the Catholic faith and how to lead a good Christian life, principally through your own example.
Please speak to the parish priest to arrange a Baptism, which is normally celebrated in the parish where you live and/or attend Mass. There are a number of things you need to do before the Baptism:
- Come to Mass each Sunday – given
youpromise to raise your child as a Catholic.
- Attend the baptism preparation sessions. You can attend the session before the child is
born,if you wish.
- Choose the child’s name(s). At least one of the names must be a ‘Christian’ name, i.e. the name of a saint.
- Choose at least one godparent, who must be a practising Catholic aged 16+.
Baptisms usually take place at 11.30 am on a Saturday. The service lasts around 30 minutes. The priest will explain the various rites of the Baptism. You need to bring a white shawl. The church provides the baptismal candle. Your family and friends, whether Catholic or not, are very welcome to attend the Baptism. There is no charge for Baptism. However, it is customary to make an offering to the Church. This can be given to the priest on the day of the Baptism.
The Baptism of Adults
See the page “Thinking of becoming a Catholic?”
‘Repent, and be baptised every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit,’
HOLY GHOST & ST. STEPHEN
44 Ashchurch Grove
020 8743 5196